Monday, October 22, 2012

Things I thought I knew...

Being pregnant has been more humbling (and at times way more humiliating) than I ever could have imagined.  So far, it's mostly taught me that I'm naive and not as smart as I think I am most of the time.  There's nothing quite like the complete rebellion of what you know as your own body to bring you back down to earth.


  • I expected this to be easy since I was in pretty good physical shape when we started this process. HA.  HA.  HA.  The joke's been on me.
  • I had no idea how much of a connection I would feel to my own mother from the moment I found out I was on this journey to become someone's mom.  
  • Just because you don't get a pregnancy symptom "on time" (and I say on time as dictated by the 5 weekly emails I get that tell me how I should be feeling each week) doesn't mean it isn't waiting in the wings ready to erupt.  I was lucky to not get the weepy hormones until later in the process but when they came, they came with a huge vengeance.  
  • Traveling while in the first trimester is not the world's best idea.  Too bad they waited until 2 weeks before a trip we'd had planned for months to tell me this at the doctor's office.  
  • Actually getting pregnant- turns out it's not so easy!!  Makes you wonder how so many people manage to do this accidentally all the time.  That one is a head scratcher.  
  • I thought I knew how much this would change my life but I really had no idea.  I had no idea that I'd have no energy to do anything beyond go to work and that I'd want to get all of my yoga classes covered so I didn't get sick while teaching.  I just didn't realize that the first trimester would completely sideline me in the way that it has.  
  • I also thought that I'd feel differently but mostly I have just felt depressed.  All of the things that I normally like to do are suddenly difficult and it's been hard feeling like I am just tolerating life instead of actually living it.  
  • I thought I'd be one of those people that would take weekly "bump" photos and make an amazing pregnancy diary but I struggle with writing anything that isn't "I barfed everything I ate last week".  All of the unfortunate side effects that I'm dealing with such as the worse-than-a-teenager acne and bloat make me want to stay about a hundred miles from any camera.  
Depending on which source you use, I am either just starting or on the brink of the second trimester, which most people find to be the most comfortable and "fun" part of pregnancy.  I'm just hoping that the baby and I find a way to make this a better process for both of us!  

No comments:

Post a Comment