The annual Sundry year-in-review
1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
had a baby and all the various things that accompany being a parent for the first time - what a roller coaster!
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did make a "to do" list and I accomplished several, if not most, of the items on said list.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
other than myself, a ton of people did and there were 4 of us that gave birth within three weeks of each other
4. Did anyone close to you die?
no funerals in 2013, and that is enough to make it a pretty good year in my book
5. What countries did you visit?
just stayed here in the good ole US of A this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn't have in 2013?
this is a tough question, probably a better self-image. After having the baby, things have been a constant struggle of gaining and losing the same few lbs. I still have anywhere from 10-20 lbs to go to get back to my pre-baby weight, which was a pretty happy body place for me.
7. What dates from 2013 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
April 29-30, labor and delivery. I definitely see that as a defining moment in my life.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Making it through the first month of Owen's life. I was woefully unprepared for what being the mother of a newborn was really going to entail. Also, the hormones. Not cool.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmm... I don't really see our breastfeeding journey as a failure but it was a struggle. My biggest failure is probably failing to just put my damn phone down and quit scrolling through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was hospitalized for dehydration in January. Blech.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably the Rock N Play that I ordered when Owen was a couple days old. It was so much easier than trying to hold him and sleep on the couch with the coffee table and pillows preventing me from dropping him.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Adam, definitely. He was my rock throughout what turned out to be a difficult pregnancy and he has been the most patient and amazing father. I also think we got pretty lucky with a very happy baby who likes to sleep. Carry on with the good behavior, Owen!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Appalled and depressed are strong words but probably Higgins dog. We had a rough year at times, he had a tough time adjusting to Milo and the baby. Overall though, he's wonderful with the baby and has really rehabilitated himself. If only he'd quit being so curious and escaping our back yard!
14. Where did most your money go?
A huge chunk went to the condo foreclosure settlements. That sucked but we're so thankful that it's over now and we can move on with our lives. Car payment, rent and having a baby sucked quite a bit of cash away too.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Having the baby! Getting said baby out of my body! Being a mom!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Clarity by Zedd. It was getting pretty popular right before Owen was born and even made it as one of the only super upbeat songs on my labor playlist. It was one of those rare songs that had staying power and they were still playing it fairly regularly on XM though the end of the year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier, all of the life changes have been hard at times but mostly awesome and rewarding
b) I think I might weigh a little bit more than I did last year at this time, despite being 22 weeks pregnant. BOOOOO.
c) richer, in life without a doubt. Probably break even in the money department, despite me quitting my full-time job. Adam had an unexpectedly awesome year at work.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
traveled but that might always be my answer
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
This was the year of starting new traditions: we went to church on Christmas Eve and then hosted an Open House afterward. Christmas morning, we had my mom, father-in-law, dad and stepmom with us to open presents with Owen. Dad and Eileen left after presents and we ate a fantastic Christmas lunch of brisket. Adam and I spent the entire day in our pajamas, which I hope can be a lasting tradition.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Duh! How could I not fall in love with this little nugget?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Same answer as last year, "House People", aka just about anything on HGTV. Also, Dateline with Lester Holt (I love Lester a lot).
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
I thoroughly enjoyed Where'd You Go, Bernadette?