Wednesday, March 23, 2011

red velvet

Can I tell you a truly sad story?  I have lived for years silently hating Red Velvet cake.  For some reason, I thought it was licorice/anise flavored so I always avoided it despite the ever alluring cream cheese icing.

Recently, my old roommate Cindy made this GIGANTOR Red Velvet to celebrate several birthdays in February (which Adam totally bogarted a birthday share of, by the way).  She made it all from scratch and it was so big, she had to make it on pizza pans.  I've never had a cake so moist and delicious in my life.  I'm embarrassed to say that I ate a piece as big as my head all by myself from the leftovers she sent us with.

I learned a valuable lesson though:  stop being so picky and stop being so judgy about food.  I might find I like something the second time around.

Now I just need to get her recipe and make one so I quit craving it incessantly.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Glad you found a new favorite! I've NEVER TRIED red velvet cake. Never.
    I had also never tried strawberry cake until it was handed to me at a wedding. Of course then I HAD to try it. Um, I've been missing out!
    You are so right, need to remember to try new things and branch out. You never know what you might love!

    ReplyDelete